Two springs & weights "piggy backed"

Henko
Posts: 856
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:23 pm
My devices: iPhone,iPad
Windows
Location: Groningen, Netherlands
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Two springs & weights "piggy backed"

Post by Henko »

Hi,
Yes, the “air friction” is just there to get a stable proces (wich remains within limits). It turns out, that there is a precise value of the “Cd” coefficient for each combination of body masses and spring constants. I deliberately used V in stead of V^2, because the friction must always be counter directional to the velocity V, and in V^2, the direction sign (+ or -) is lost.

I tried the graph method you mentioned, and it workes fine and very simple.

A statement like n+=1 is short hand for n=n+1. Is also possible with -=, *=, &=, and so on.
(see documentation under “Basics/Expressions”)

A period just before a varable name indicates a “scope variable”.
Exemple: the variable “fun.act” is the variable “act” which is created in the function “fun”.
Everywhere in the entire program, the value of that variable may be retrieved or be set under that name.
If there is no function name before the period, the variable exists in the main program module.
(see documentation under “Basic/Functions” and “Basic/Scope variables”. Highly recommended reading😉)

davey110
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:01 pm
My devices: iPhone SE 2020
iPad mini 2
Flag: Canada

Re: Two springs & weights "piggy backed"

Post by davey110 »

Thank you. I think I did read about the x+= in the “distant past”, but have never used it, so never think of it.
I have never understood Scope variables. Thank you for the brief explanation - that may get me started. I have never “gotten into” these more obscure functions. I think they would make debugging more difficult, since they are more difficult to read when your mind is on the problem you’re debugging. I suppose you get used to them.
I have the manual downloaded on my iPad, but is it possible to make a browser Bookmark to the browser downloads? I have relied mostly on the built-in Help lists, which obviously only cover the more basic stuff. (No pun intended 😄 )

Post Reply